Are rainwater tanks cost effective?

Rainwater infiltration ditches

In any case, I don’t think you will amortize it, unless you put a very big tank and use a lot of water for irrigation, since for the cisterns the consumption, for the moment, is “cheap”. I would not mix it with the network, since rainwater cannot be considered drinkable, although you would need to feed it thinking that the stored water could run out.

In short, I think it’s a good idea, and a great initiative, but if you do it for the savings it doesn’t pay off. It has been demonstrated that the system of incentives or subsidies does not work, so that the ecological measures are implemented, it is necessary to “force” and “prohibit”.

If you are going to collect rainwater, it would be advisable to build a cistern with a good capacity according to the roof surface you have in order to be able to reuse that water both for the house itself and for irrigation.

In the rural houses that were made by the interior of our area it was common practice to make a cistern under the house between the foundation and the first floor slab, also they were attached to the houses a little high so that the water came out by gravity.

They are rainwater tanks that seep into the earth’s subsoil.

Top TankThe star tank with an extraordinary price/quality ratio, ideal for installation in garden or cellar.Vertical collector tankContainer to recover rainwater. Available from 2000L to 9000L.Cellar tankA 1700L rainwater harvesting tank.

Read more  Which brand of tyres is the best?

Our rainwater harvesting tanks accumulate a large amount of rainwater and offer excellent value for money. Tanks such as the Classic, connected in series, can accumulate up to 2,600L. Other tanks such as the Herkules or the Top Tank are easy to transport and can be assembled by hand.

Herkules tankThe Herkules tanks have an outstanding price/performance ratio for both underground and outdoor installation.Garden tankThe classic tank for rainwater harvesting.Horizontal collector tankContainer for rainwater harvesting. From 400L to 3000L.

Fluvial deposits

The work of the ICTA researcher is based on the need to find corrective and preventive measures to help manage water supply problems, especially in arid areas or in those of the Mediterranean area affected by climate change, and has analyzed the possibilities of applying rainwater harvesting systems in the 73 neighborhoods of Barcelona and in the municipality of Hermosillo, in a desert area of Mexico, showing that 80% of the savings provided by these systems is due to the reduction in the consumption of detergents and softeners.

The research has analyzed both the consumption of resources and the life cycle of the products to identify the environmental impacts, energy efficiency and economic viability of different rainwater harvesting systems.

Water ditch

G) Total potable water consumption ?        The average annual supply for all concepts is 198 liters/inhabitant/day, corresponding to domestic consumption 126 liters/inhabitant/day, 64%, and to community consumption 72 liters/inhabitant/day, the remaining 36%. The monthly distribution is as follows:

A first evaluation is made on the amount of rainwater collected each month, for example in an area of 1,800 m2 coinciding with that of the garden, and the amount of water used in the maintenance of that garden and the swimming pool, observing the following:

Read more  How much should I budget for a 150 person wedding?

The above table indicates that the annual volume of water that can be captured, compared to the annual volume that is desired to be consumed, is 24% in the best case, that is, assuming that all the rainfall captured is stored. As shown, the catchment area and the irrigation area coincide.

It is clear that the water deficit will be particularly severe between the months of May and October, and that the greatest rainwater storage will have to take place between the months of November and April and particularly in December, January and February. To increase the 24% rainwater substitution, the blue line on the graph must be raised, which is achieved by increasing the catchment area above 1,800 m2 , and the corresponding storage volume.

Related Posts